Dialog Box


Government assistance programs

There are variances in the financial support allowances that individuals and families may be eligible for. 

These will depend on the personal circumstances of the claimant and the medical condition the claim is related to. Application for many of these payments will need to be supported by a medical practitioner.

Carer Allowance

This allowance is available to people who provide daily care and attention in a private home to a person with a disability or severe medical condition.

search icon

For more information on the eligibility requirements, visit the Services Australia website.

Visit Website

Concession and Health Care Cards

These cards can get you cheaper health services and medicines. The type of card you can get depends on your situation. You can use your concession or health care card to get cheaper medicines under the Pharmaceutical Benefits Scheme. You may also use your concession card if your doctor bulk bills for visits.

search icon

For more information on the types of cards and eligibility requirements, visit the Services Australia website.

Visit Website

Other Programs

Parental Leave Pay

Parental Leave Pay provides financial support for eligible working parents for up to 18 weeks to help them care for a newborn or recently adopted child.

For more information, view the Parental Leave Pay page at Services Australia.

Dad and Partner Pay

Fathers may be eligible to claim Dad and Partner Pay for two weeks to help care for a newborn or recently adopted child. Eligibility criteria apply.

For more information, view the Dad and Partner page at Services Australia.

Newborn Upfront Payment and Newborn Supplement

Parents receiving Family Tax Benefit A may also be eligible for Newborn Upfront Payment and Newborn Supplement. You will be automatically assessed for this payment when you apply for your Family Tax Benefit.

For more information, view the Newborn Upfront Payment and Newborn Supplement page at Services Australia.

Child Care Benefits and Programs

Special Child Care Benefit

Special Child Care Benefit (SCCB) is provided by the Australian Government and administered under the family assistance law. It is not subject to parental income tests. SCCB is available to support families with child care costs when they are experiencing a ‘hardship event that impacts significantly on their ability to pay child care costs.'

This can be due to ‘significant income reduction or increased expenditure or need for hours/increased hours of care arising from the event.'

Approved child care services are able to approve up to 13 weeks per financial year for a child using their care. If a longer period of SCCB is required, the child care facility can apply to the Department of Human Services for consideration of further assistance for the family.

For more information, view the SCCB page at Services Australia.

Child Care for Siblings During Hospital Admission

If you require child care for your other children when your heart child is receiving treatment in hospital, we encourage you to speak with the social worker attached to your cardiac unit in the hospital. The social worker will be able to provide information regarding eligibility and options. 

Alternatively, please speak to your local HeartKids support team member, who will be able to assist in recommending the best person to speak to at your hospital or provide you with useful information regarding child care options.

Emergency Child Care Spots

Some child care facilities hold ‘emergency spaces’ for children in their care. These are available for extreme emergency situations where urgent childcare is needed. These are not available in all centres and families must seek further information from the director of their child care centre.

Bereavement Pay

Bereavement Pay can be claimed if you experience a death of the person you are caring for. It is to assist with the financial changes that may affect you as a result of the bereavement. It will be determined by individual circumstances.

For more information, visit the Bereavement page on the Service Australia website.

Please also see our Heart Angels page for information on how our Support Team can help you in the event of a bereavement. Or call our HeartKids Helpline on 1800 432 785 to be pointed in the right direction for specialised support services in your area.

Why can't I claim under the NDIS?

Congenital heart disease is not currently a recognised disability for carers payments under the NDIS. In comparison, organ failure and some syndromes are on the recognised list. 

HeartKids is working very hard to advocate for individuals and family's needs and lobby government to improve the financial support provided to people impacted by congenital heart disease.